25 June 2009

Is the American language the same as English?


If some of the words I use are different from what you expect, it’s because this blog is not only intended very much for our daughters, who always wonder where we are and what we’re doing, but also for my sister and family and friends in England. They aren’t used to all the Americanisms and terms used in the States, so some explanation is occasionally needed.


When my husband and I met, many long years ago now, I offered him a biscuit to have with his cup of hot tea.  He politely refused and was amazed when I took a cookie out of a tin for myself.  He was convinced I was a bit nutty offering him a biscuit and wondered why I hadn’t offered him a cookie. In the U.S. a biscuit is often eaten for breakfast with gravy or to accompany a meal. It hasn’t the same taste as a plain scone but looks similar.


No comments:

Post a Comment